Position Title: Bilingual Summer Intern
Reports to: Director, Community Impact Programs
Type: Full Time
Hours: 37.5 Hours/week (May 2018 through July 2018)
Position Summary: Intern will support United Way of Greater Mercer County (“UWGMC”) Community Impact (Program Department) efforts to help the Community Benefits Enroller with outreach, pre-screening for federal benefits using a lap top at community locations, and Spanish interpretation. Intern will have regular contact with the Community Impact team, as well as the entire UWGMC staff.
Primary Responsibilities (75%):
- Assist Community Benefits Enroller who will be imbedded in the community at the local soup kitchen meal sites, at non-profits; and at several of the pantries to screen and enroll individuals in SNAP, ACA and additional Federal benefits and promote free tax preparation.
- Assist in program research, development, and assessment as needed.
- Conduct “Single Stop Quick Screenings”, an online federal benefits screening tool, at community events to provide to the Enroller and the person with information as to whether they qualify for federal/state benefits, such as food and nutrition programs (SNAP, WIC) and health insurance (CHIP, Medicaid).
- Expand outreach to the Hispanic/Latino community
- Translate and interpret for Spanish speaking clients
- Collect feedback and data about the Hispanic/Latino population
- Collect client success stories
Secondary Responsibilities (25%)
- Work in conjunction with the Community Impact Team on Financial Empowerment Initiative
- Attend and help with logistics for the Strike Out Hunger Event on June 5, 2018
- Other responsibilities as assigned
Reporting Requirements and Deliverables
- Ensure that all program outcomes are properly documented in an accurate and timely manner through Single Stop’s reporting system.
- Work with United Way staff, nonprofit, and Single Stop program staff to use program performance data to drive improvements to the program design and implementation at each of the sites.
- Report synthesizing the needs of the Hispanic/Latino community
- Participate in all required trainings and meetings, and maintain a strong and current expertise in public benefits eligibility, application and enrollment, as well as community resources and tax services available at and near host sites – county and state wide.
- Must complete the Training by Single Stop on their system
- Provide daily and weekly updates of progress through phone calls, emails or face to face meetings
- Must have flexibility with scheduling, including occasional evenings, weekends, or early mornings
- Must have a reliable mode of transportation and valid driver’s license
- Attend mandatory staff meetings
- Must be able to provide scheduled hours to supervisor on a bi-weekly basis
- Must submit timesheets and expense reports by due date
Skills & Experience:
- Experience with benefits enrollment and case management
- Experience working with the community in Mercer County is preferred
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Dynamic, energetic, and driven personality required
- Solid time management and effective multi-tasking required
- Must demonstrate attention to detail, strong critical thinking, and analytical skills
- Ability to work independently, collaboratively as part of a team, and in a flexible work environment
- Proficient computer skills required (Microsoft Office suite)
- Strong editing and research skills
- Must be able to speak Spanish
$10/hour, 37.5 hours/week, this position is not eligible for UWGMC employee benefits program as it is a temporary internship.
This position will be for the term May 2018 through July 2018.
How to Apply:
Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org