United Way of Greater Mercer County is seeking volunteers to be a part of the free tax program. The program provides families and individuals making less than $65,000/year with FREE tax return preparation.
Benefits to the Community
Last year's volunteers prepared over 1,000 free tax returns and provided total refunds of $1.3 million including Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Child Tax Credit (CTC) to working individuals and families as well as those who are 60 years of age and older in our community.
The average adjusted gross income of working individuals and families we serve is $26,000/year. Rising costs in food, housing, and essentials leave families struggling to make ends meet. The savings from tax preparation fees and refunds received are used for basic needs like:
- transportation to their place of employment
- and much more!
In order to qualify for Federal resources like food assistance (including school lunch and breakfast), health insurance (including Medicaid), college financial aid, and other programs proof of income is required. As a result, tax return filing is crucial to the financial success of many families and individuals. Be a part of this vital resource to increase financial security for struggling families in Mercer County!
Benefits of Volunteering
- Impact your community
- Gain practical experience
- No prior tax experience is required
- Various roles are available
- Tax Preparer: train to prepare and review tax returns
- Greeter: confirm if individuals have all of the documents needed for filing and assist individuals in filling out an initial intake form (will not be preparing tax returns)
- Site Coordinator: review tax returns and manage tax site
- Translator: translate for Spanish speaking clients
- Become IRS Certified
- Flexible volunteer hours (3-4 hour blocks)
- College students can earn course credits and build up their resumes
- Tax professionals can earn Continuing Education Credits
Interested in becoming a tax volunteer?
Volunteers are needed from February 1 to April 15, 2022. Free IRS training begins December 2021 and test certification/completion is required by January 15, 2022. Tax sites are located throughout Mercer County (exact locations TBD) and virtual volunteer opportunities may be available. New and returning volunteers please fill out the below form.
Help us spread the word! Download the flyer.
For questions please contact Bill Bright at email@example.com