Skip to main content

Free Tax Program

Due to COVID-19 closures, our free tax sites are currently closed. Please be advised that tax filing and payment deadline has been extended until July 15. More information about our tax sites will be available when we reopen. To stay informed about the latest tax information please click here. To file a simple return for free, on your own and online please click here.  

The free tax program (VITA-Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) offers families and individuals making less than $65,000 free tax return preparation by trained and IRS certified volunteers. Appointments are for federal and state tax preparation.

free tax preparation services

Download a full list of free tax locations here... (Please take note that walk-ins are welcome but are not guaranteed service on the day you come in.) 

Call 2-1-1 to make an appointment 

Go to the online scheduler by clicking the button below:

Book an appointment with United Way of Greater Mercer County



Powered by AppointmentPlus


  • Picture ID
  • Social Security Cards (or ITINs) and dates of birth for:
    • the taxpayer
    • spouse
    • children
    • any other dependents you are claiming
  • Dates of birth for all taxpayers and dependents
  • W2 forms
  • Bring your year-end pay stub
  • 1099 forms
  • Unemployment amounts paid and taxes withheld, statement online
  • Last paystub or end of year pension statements
  • Year-end retirement account summaries (ex. 5498s) (Balances inI RA accounts at year end)
  • Any other tax forms you received (1098-Ts)
  • ACA healthcare forms:
    • 1095-A, 1095-B, or 1095-C and;
    • insurance information with months of coverage for each person in the household
  • Medical expenses (Totaled). Don’t forget eyeglasses or contact lens receipts or medical mileage
  • Charitable Contributions (Totaled) - separate cash contributions (cash, check, credit card) and non-cash contributions (ex: clothing & furniture).
  • Church printout. Receipt for any contribution of $250 or more
  • Rent or mortgage interest statement
  • All property tax information (green card, PTR 1, PTR 2, homestead rebate amount)
  • Copy of 2018 income tax return
  • Checking and savings bank account and routing number

Note: if you are married filing separately, you’ll need your spouse’s social security number and need to know whether they itemized on their return

IRS Resources


 Call 609-896-1912 or email