Strike Out Hunger is a community-driven initiative that unites companies, individuals and advocates to alleviate hunger in Mercer County. Strike Out Hunger provides packaged meals and fresh produce to food pantry beneficiaries throughout Mercer County during the summer months. During this time, access to food becomes scarce for children and families in our community. The Initiative addresses this issue through the community meal packing event, supporting fresh produce distribution, giving grants to nonprofits and an awareness campaign.
2019 COMMUNITY MEAL PACKING EVENT SUMMARY
UWGMC hosted its 5th Annual Strike Out Hunger community meal packing and surpassed the goal of 75,000 meals and packed 84,740 meals of fortified soup. The meals will benefit food pantries throughout Mercer County.
THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS
Power Hitter Sponsors
Lead Runner Sponsors
NEW THIS YEAR:
- Interested in assisting with fresh produce distribution? View details and register here: http://bit.ly/rollingfarm
- You can also host a healthy food drive to benefit pantries over the summer! Consider donating oils, vinegar and spices (no glass jars please). View flyer for suggested items and more information.
AWARDED GRANTS FOR SUMMER HUNGER RELIEF TO 6 NONPROFIT ORGANIZATIONS
The funding will allow the organizations to address the increased need for food during the summer months. The grantees are as follows:
- Arm in Arm, $7,500
- Capital Area YMCA, $10,000
- Catholic Youth Organization (CYO) Bromley Center $5,000
- Jewish Family and Children’s Service, $7,500
- Mercer Street Friends Food Bank, $10,000
- Mount Carmel Guild, $12,000